Sleepwalkers (1992): Collector’s Edition
Sleepwalkers has always been the oddest Stephen King adaptation. I remember seeing the TV trailer on constant repeat, while wondering what exactly is this movie? It would be years before I realized that it was a kitty energy vampire movie with a splash of incest mixed into the film. So, what else is there to say? Only everything!
Brian Krause drives a bitchin’ car, as he cruises new towns for young virgins to drain of their energy. Mark Hamill shows up in a bit role as a cop, but then other clueless cops have to take up the hunt of the mommy loving cat vampire man. Madchen Amick takes a break from Twin Peaks to confuse the sexual energy of this flick even more. For a movie that takes less time than The Mangler, it has an awful lot to say.
Yet, it says none of it well at all. The film exists as this reminder that sometimes Stephen King is pulling ideas out of his butt. By that, I mean every third idea he’s ever had. Dreamcatcher, Sleepwalkers and let’s say the book he did with Owen aren’t flukes. It’s just the nature of the beast when you keep cranking out material. Not everything is going to be stunning, but you fart out bad ideas to get to the better ones.
I would love to see a remake of this one, because I have no idea how a modern filmmaker could make it worse.
Sleepwalkers: Collector’s Edition special features
- NEW Audio Commentary With Director Mick Garris And Actors Mädchen Amick And Brian Krause
- NEW Feline Trouble – An Interview With Director Mick Garris
- NEW When Charles Met Tanya – A Conversation With Actors Mädchen Amick And Brian Krause
- NEW Family Values – An Interview With Actress Alice Krige
- NEW Feline Trouble: The FX Of Stephen King’s Sleepwalkers – Interviews With Special Make-up Effects Creator Tony Gardner And Prosthetics Designer Mike Smithson
- Behind-The-Scenes Footage
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery
You must log in to post a comment.