This November, to kick off the 2019 100th birthday celebration of Ernie Kovacs, television’s original genius, Shout! Factory brings together the riotous DVD set, ERNIE KOVACS: THE CENTENNIAL EDITION. Combining the previously released volumes of groundbreaking, rule-breaking, surreal and charmingly silly comedy of the beloved and iconic comedian, the singular set features over 22 classic hours of decidedly offbeat entertainment from across Kovacs many television shows and specials. It will be available on ShoutFactory.com or wherever DVDs are sold on November 13, 2018.
Across the 9 discs of ERNIE KOVACS: THE CENTENNIAL EDITION , home audiences will find a cornucopia of Kovacs’ greatest and most memorable “hits”, showcasing an utterly unique sensibility that has influenced such comedy institutions as Monty Python and “Saturday Night Live” including episodes from his local and national morning shows, episodes from his NBC prime-time show, his five ABC-TV specials, the rare color version of his legendary silent show, “Eugene”, 3 complete episodes of his offbeat game show “Take a Good Look”, “A Pony for Chris”, Kovacs’ rarely-seen pilot for “Medicine Man” co-starring Buster Keaton, the only existing filmed solo interview with Kovacs himself, his award-winning commercials for Dutch Masters Cigars, a collection of short films, tributes rarities and much more!
Limited Edition Never-Before-Available-or-Seen Lithographs
While best known as “Television’s Original Genius”, Kovacs’ groundbreaking work in the early days of television has been his legacy, though he also starred in movies, recorded LPs, hosted radio shows, wrote novels, and worked as a columnist for his hometown paper, “The Trentonian”. Many of his fans, however, may not know that the creative giant was also an artist, never without a pen and paper — and the chronic insomniac often worked well into the night. Early in his career, one of Kovacs’ favorite TV segments was his “Illustrated Profuselies”. And during this “visual improv” set to music, the viewing audience got to watch his fertile mind at work, as he quickly sketched doodles. Frequently drawn in pencil and sometimes using colors, these abstract, sometimes surrealistic images soon took shape and were eventually revealed on camera.
Now, just in time for the holiday season, Shout! Factory is proud to present exclusive lithograph sets – never before-seen-or sold — featuring 10 limited edition sketches, originally born as “Profuselies” and later recreated. They are available either professionally framed ($1000) or unframed($250) and bring to rich life Kovacs fertile creativity as never before available.
ERNIE KOVACS: THE CENTENNIAL EDITION digs deep into a goldmine of comedy and Kovacs’ fans, both longtime and new, will marvel at the sheer invention, wit and goofy charm of these milestone programs from the Golden Age of TV. A creative force of nature, this specially-curated collection of his riches — historic, unique and endlessly entertaining — will help to seal his legacy forever.
ERNIE KOVACS: THE CENTENNIAL EDITION Bonus Programming:
- 1987 ATAS Hall Of Fame Induction
- Andy McKay 8mm Home Movies
- Audio Lost
- Baseball Film
- Charlie Clod In Brazil
- Dutch Masters Commercials
- Ernie’s Opening Monologue
- Home Movies: Golf With Edie And Ernie
- Howard, The World’s Strongest Ant on “A Hot Date” and “Howard’s Campground”
- Interview: Algernon Gerard, Archaeologist
- Interview: The World At Your Doorstep
- Introducing Coloratura Mimi Cosnowski
- Irving Wong: Tin Pan Alley Songwriter
- J. Burlington Gearshift
- Making Of “Baseball Film”
- Martin Krutch, Public Eye
- Matzoh Hepplewhite
- Miklos Molnar’s Glue
- Muriel Cigars Commercials Featuring Edie Adams
- Original Theatrical Trailers: “Wake Me When It’s Over” And “Five Golden Hours”
- Our Man In Havana” Behind-The-Scenes Footage
- Percy Dovetonsils : “Ode To A Housefly”, “Ode To Electricity” and “Ode To Stanley’s Pussycat”
- Remembering Ernie With George Schlatter And Jolene Brand
- Rock Mississippi In “Fingers Under Weskit”
- Silents Please
- Skodney Silsky, Hollywood Reporter
- Strangely Believe It: Writers To Blame
- Superclod Test
- Surprise Audience Member
- Take A Good Look: “Clues” and “Sales Film”
- The Kapusta Kid In Outer Space Meets Olivia Scilloscope
- The Mysterious Knockwurst
- Trailer For “Operation Mad Ball” – “It Happened To Ernie”