Recognizing that there would be no lights, camera or action without the creative spark that first puts words to a page, Final Draft, Inc., the industry standard for screenwriting software, announced the nominees for the 10th annual Final Draft Awards. The ceremony announcing the winners will be held at the Paramount Theatre on the Paramount Studios lot and hosted by Thomas Lennon & Robert Ben Garant on Thursday, February 12 at 7:30 p.m.
The annual Screenwriters Choice Awards will recognize four exceptional film and television projects, as well as present the Hall of Fame Award to its first writing team, Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski (Big Eyes, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Ed Wood), as well as the winners of the annual Final Draft Big Break Contest. The nominees and winners of the Screenwriters Choice Awards are determined by thousands of votes from Final Draft users.
The nominees in each Screenwriters Choice Awards category are:
Best Original Screenplay
- Birdman – Alejandro González Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Armando Bo
- Boyhood – Richard Linklater
- The Grand Budapest Hotel – Wes Anderson & Hugo Guinness
- Interstellar – Christopher Nolan & Jonathan Nolan
- Nightcrawler – Dan Gilroy
Best Adapted Screenplay
- American Sniper – Jason Dean Hall
- Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
- Guardians of the Galaxy – James Gunn & Nicole Perlman
- The Imitation Game – Graham Moore
- The Theory of Everything – Anthony McCarten
Best Television Drama
- Downton Abbey – Julian Fellowes
- Fargo – Noah Hawley
- Game of Thrones – David Benioff & D.B. Weiss
- House of Cards – Beau Willimon
- True Detective – Nic Pizzolatto
Best Television Comedy
- The Big Bang Theory – Chuck Lorre & Bill Prady
- Louie – Louis C.K.
- Modern Family – Steven Levitan & Christopher Lloyd
- Orange is the New Black – Jenji Kohan
- Veep – Armando Iannucci
“I can honestly say that this year’s slate of nominees are all deserving of a win in each category,” stated Marc Madnick, CEO of Final Draft, Inc. “We have truly entered a new Golden Era, of both film and television, evidenced by some of the most imaginative and provocative writing I’ve seen. Congratulations to all of the nominees!”
About Final Draft, Inc.
Final Draft, Inc. has published Final Draft software – the number-one selling screenwriting application in the world – for over 20 years. Final Draft software automatically paginates and formats scripts to industry standards allowing writers to focus on what they do best – scripting stories. Used by industry giants like J.J. Abrams, James Cameron, Aaron Sorkin and others, Final Draft has become the professional’s choice and the entertainment industry standard. In addition to its flagship software product, Final Draft, Inc. offers the Big Break Contest – an annual screenwriting contest designed to launch careers. The recently launched Final Draft Writer® and Final Draft Reader® mobile apps for iPad and iPhone allow you to write, edit, read and annotate FDX files easily anywhere, anytime. To learn more visit www.finaldraft.com.
UPDATE: Here’s a link to the Cloudwards breakdown of different writing software. https://www.cloudwards.net/best-writing-software/