Return of the Living Dead Part II was an attempt to carry on from the glorious bow of Return of the Living Dead. Unfortunately, the production lost the scripting and directing talent that was behind the first movie. What did they do? Well, they hired an outside talent that had made a different kind of horror movie. The humor came in by piecemeal, as the biting wit of the first movie gave way to almost parody like gags. Plus, kids!
There’s something to take away from where this movie went off the rails. Carrying over the main actors from the first film in jokey supporting roles and having a kid carry so much of the action changes the nature of this film. Plus, it visibly looks worse than the first movie. So much of this film seems to have been shot in a haze coated vaseline that covered some of the sequel’s lackluster makeup and FX.
If anything, the revisit to this movie was just a highlight reel of how the entire production never got out of a creative hole. Thankfully, it was short and had a few good kills. I take my wins with the Living Dead series where I can get them. That being said, it’s still better than the third Living Dead movie.
Return of The Living Dead Part II special features
- NEW 2K Scan From The Interpositive
- NEW Audio Commentary With Actress Suzanne Snyder
- NEW Audio Commentary With Gary Smart (Co-author Of The Complete History Of The Return Of The Living Dead) And Filmmaker Christopher Griffiths
- NEW Back To The Dead: The Effects Of “Return Of The Living Dead Part II” – Including Interviews With Special Make-up Effects Creator Kenny Myers And Special Make-up Effects Artists Andy Schoneberg And Mike Smithson
- NEW The Laughing Dead – An Interview With Writer/Director Ken Wiederhorn
- NEW Undead Melodies – An Interview With Composer J. Peter Robinson
- NEW Interview With Actor Troy Fromin
- Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Ken Wiederhorn And Co-star Thor Van Lingen
- They Won’t Stay Dead: A Look At Return Of The Living Dead Part II Including Interviews With James Karen, Thom Matthews, Brian Peck, Kenny Myers, Susan Snyder, Michael Kenworthy, And More…
- Archival Featurette – Live From The Set
- Archival Interviews With Ken Wiederhorn, James Karen, Thom Matthews, And Kenny Myers
- Behind-the-scenes Footage
- Theatrical Trailer And Teaser Trailer
- TV Spots
- Still Gallery Of Posters And Stills
- Still Gallery Of Behind-the-scenes Stills From Makeup Effects Artists Kenny Myers And Mike Smithson