“House” hasn’t aged well. While it was one of the first horror movies I ever saw, I always remember it through a weird lens. Sure, I was young and I got the humor. It’s just time does things to the individual. It makes the attack on the little kid less creepy and more humorous. Hell, I mentally doubled the amount of screen time that Richard Moll got in the film. There a ton of killer concepts that get toyed around in a King rip-off. That being said, I admire more of what it accomplished than the second House movie.
“House II: The Second Story” was one of the first films that I anticipated on-release. I made my way to Showcase Cinemas and saw one of the last New World Pictures upon first release. Due to shortages, my theater didn’t get the Centipuppy toys or the mock Crystal Skulls. What they did give me was the Marvel Movie Comics adaptation of the film. I still have that issue. This film is more of a short oddity that blends Spooky Westerns with Aztecs Warriors and yet another Cheers alum.
The films are a bit revealing when you watch the documentaries and read the House Companion. Original writer Fred Dekker wanted to make a darkly comedic horror movie. However, writer Ethan Wiley hopped on and added more heart. While the dramatic underpinnings helped sell the film to the mainstream, it also cut out what could’ve made the films work. Plus, ditching Roger Cobb and going Weird Western didn’t make sense. Oh well, this is still one of the best releases of 2017.
- The House Companion – limited edition 60-page book featuring new writing on the entire House franchise by researcher Simon Barber, alongside a wealth of archive material
- Audio commentary with director Steve Miner, producer Sean S. Cunningham, actor William Katt and screenwriter Ethan Wiley
- Ding Dong, You’re Dead! The Making of House – brand new documentary featuring interviews with Steve Miner, Sean S. Cunningham, Ethan Wiley, story creator Fred Dekker, stars William Katt, Kay Lenz, and George Wendt, composer Harry Manfredini, etc.
- Stills Gallery
- Theatrical Trailers
- Audio commentary with writer-director Ethan Wiley and producer Sean S. Cunningham
- It’s Getting Weirder! The Making of House II: The Second Story – brand new documentary featuring interviews with Ethan Wiley, Sean S. Cunningham, stars Arye Gross, Jonathan Stark, Lar Park Lincoln, and Devin DeVasquez, composer Harry Manfredini, speci
- Stills Gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
- 1.85:1 1080p transfer
- DTS-HD 5.1 master audio track/DTS-HD MONO