|This summer’s must-have for collector’s, the 3-disc set The Harder They Come [Collector’s Edition], will include 6 hours of new bonus features when it is released August 20th from Shout! Factory (full list below). Filmed in Jamaica earlier this year, the intimate, knowing, and candid conversations, along with illuminating featurettes included, provide an authentic insiders perspective of what it was like to make The Harder They Come, starring reggae icon Jimmy Cliff, as well as Perry Henzell’s second remarkable film, No Place Like Home.
|Henzell’s second feature No Place Like Home (filmed between 1973 – 1980) went unseen as the negative was thought lost for over 25 years. Found and restored, this Shout! Factory release, as part of The Harder They Come [Collector’s Edition], is a true cinema event. This beautiful film about a woman escaping her comfort zone, finding beauty, and rediscovering herself in an unfamiliar place can now be seen – with an incredible soundtrack handpicked by Henzell. It features songs performed by Bob Marley, Etta James, Carly Simon, Toots & The Maytals, Marcia Griffiths, Desmond Dekker & The Aces, The Sensations, The Three Degree, Ernest Ranglin, The Heptones, Nasio Fontaine, Lobo, Lord Messam & His Calypsonians, and a song recorded by P.J. Soles.
Highlights of the extras include a fascinating new interview with Sir Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Alien), interviews with actors PJ Soles (No Place Like Home, Carrie, Stripes), Carl Bradshaw (The Harder They Come, No Place Like Home), and Winston Stona (The Harder They Come, No Place Like Home), interviews with Perry Henzell’s wife and children, cinematographer Franklyn “Chappy” St. Juste, composer Steven Soles, and more.
Also included is a new featurette entitled Duppies In The Control Room – Dynamic Sounds Studios Then and Now, which has new footage of the long-shuttered historic studio intercut with footage from The Harder They Come and Jimmy Cliff recording sessions. An existing interview with the late Perry Henzell by producer/director Arthur Gorson (Cronos, Night Watch, No Place Like Home), whom had first met Henzell in 1973, is included on the release as well, along with other previously existing extras.
The previously unreleased documentary short A Filmmakers Odyssey, produced and directed by Arthur Gorson and David Garonzik, and included in The Harder They Come [Collector’s Edition], captures the inspiring tale of how “No Place Like Home” was found, completed, and put through the hurdle of clearing music rights. The new featurette Rise Up from the Cutting Room Floor looks at the restoration of the film, highlighting the extensive restoration work.
The Harder They Come [Collector’s Edition] is the ultimate tribute to these two films, now available for the first time on Blu-ray™ in the U.S. Along with the treasure trove of new material. The Harder They Come looks better than ever thanks to a new transfer, and Perry Henzell’s legacy continues.
THE HARDER THEY COME – COLLECTOR’S EDITION
Disc 1: THE HARDER THEY COME
- NEW 4K scan from the original 16mm negative
- NEW Audio Commentary with author David Katz (Jimmy Cliff: An Unauthorized Biography)
- One and All: The Phenomenon of THE HARDER THEY COME
- Hard Road to Travel: The Making of THE HARDER THEY COME – directed by Chris Browne
- Vintage interviews with Jimmy Cliff, Arthur Gorson and director Perry Henzell
- Vintage interview with a director of photography David MacDonald
- Vintage interview with line producer Yvonne Brewster
- THE HARDER THEY COME music video
Disc 2: NO PLACE LIKE HOME
- NEW NO PLACE LIKE HOME – restoration from the original 16mm film elements
- NEW audio commentary with Sally Henzell, David Garonzik, Cookie Kinkead and Arthur Gorson
- NEW Perry Henzell: A Filmmaker’s Odyssey – A short film on the long path to completing “NO PLACE LIKE HOME”
- NEW Rise Up from the Cutting Room Floor – the restoration of “NO PLACE LIKE HOME”
- NEW Audio Bonus Feature – P.J. Soles original vocal track and original acoustic guitar demo by Steven Soles for the title song “World Full of Beauty”
- NEW Theatrical Trailer
Disc 3: BONUS DISC – THE LEGACY OF PERRY HENZELL: A STORY OF JAMAICAN CINEMA
(Produced and directed by Arthur Gorson and David Garonzik, Executive Producer Justine Henzell)
- NEW Filmin’ in the Gully – Anatomy of Three Scenes – with “The Harder They Come” cinematographer Franklyn “Chappy” St. Juste
- NEW Duppies in the Control Room – Dynamic Sounds Studios Then and Now
- NEW 10A – Jamaica’s Film Yard – The story of Perry Henzell’s Kingston home and production center – featuring Sally Henzell, Jason Henzell, Maxine Walters, Justine Henzell and more
- NEW A Conversation with Sir Ridley Scott
- NEW Live From the Reggae Awards: Red Carpet interviews with stars of the Jamaican music industry – conducted at Kingston’s most recent annual music awards show
- NEW Out of Many One Filmmaker – The Disciples of Perry Henzell: featuring interviews with directors Storm Saulter, Rass Kassa, Chris Browne and producer Maxine Walters.
- NEW Everyone A Star: The Original Cast – including actors P.J. Soles, Carl Bradshaw and Winston Stona
- NEW Big Heap of Help: The Original Support Team – interviews with Perry’s first personal assistant Beverley Manley, Assistant Director Bobby Russell, and more
- NEW Roots: The Family Henzell – including interviews with Sally Henzell, Justine Henzell and Jason Henzell
- NEW How Perry Rocked the World – interviews with “Native” Wayne Jobson, historian Chris Salewicz, and composer Steven Soles.
Trafalgar Releasing Debuts Trailer for ‘Roger Waters Us + Them’ Film – in theaters worldwide Oct. 2 & 6
Trafalgar Releasing are excited to unveil the official film trailer for Roger Waters Us + Them, filmed in Amsterdam on the European leg of his highly successful and critically acclaimed 2017/2018 world tour, US + THEM. The film will be screened in 2500+ cinemas across 60+ countries around the world on October 2 and 6 only. Tickets to see the film are on sale now from rogerwatersusandthem.com.
FEATURING SONGS FROM HIS LEGENDARY PINK FLOYD ALBUMS AND FROM HIS LAST ALBUM, IS THIS THE LIFE WE REALLY WANT?
TICKETS NOW ON SALE AT ROGERWATERSUSANDTHEM.COM
Roger Waters, co-founder and creative force behind Pink Floyd, with visionary director, Sean Evans, brings to the screen the live story of Us + Them to inspire you with its powerful music and message of human rights, liberty and love.
The film features songs from Waters legendary Pink Floyd albums, The Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Animals, Wish You Were Here, as well as his last album, Is This The Life We Really Want?
The tour saw Waters perform a total of 156 shows to 2.3M people throughout North America, Australia & New Zealand, Europe, Russia, Latin America and Mexico.
“I’m so looking forward to the launch of the movie in October. US + THEM is not standard rock and roll fare, some in the audience may ‘yee haaaa!!!’ Which is ok, but many will weep. That is what I hope for. US + THEM is a call to action. Homo Sapiens stand at a crossroads, we can either pool our love, develop our capacity to empathise with others and act collectively for the good of our planet, or we can remain Comfortably Numb, and continue, like blind lemmings, on our current omnicidal death march towards extinction. US + THEM is a vote for love and life.”
Roger Waters, 11th July 2019
Director, Sean Evans added: “This is a great film – an amazing performance delivered with care, emotion and meaning. Didn’t think it was possible, but I believe we’ve outdone The Wall…”
The event will be screened in cinemas around the world on Wednesday, October 2 and Sunday, October 6 (in Dolby Atmos where available). More information can be found at rogerwatersusandthem.com, where fans can sign up for event alerts.
Tune Into the Free Streamer COCORO for the Adventures of the Real Lion King with the Classic Anime JUNGLE EMPEROR LEO!
This weekend, millions of moviegoers will partake in the magic of Disney with the eagerly-anticipated remake of The Lion King
. For families seeking tales of jungle royalty best enjoyed from the comfort of home, Cocoro, a free, ad-supported streaming platform, will premiere JUNGLE EMPEROR LEO
, a 90’s-era anime classic based on Osamu Tezuka’s popular manga “Jungle Taitei”.
At the foot of the mysterious Moon Mountain lives a white lion named Leo, ruler of the jungle. He and his family live peacefully among the other animals in a lush habitat, but, unfortunately, humans have entered the Emperor’s domain, shattering the peace in their relentless search for moonlight stones — a source of exquisite wealth. With little regard for the animals of the jungle and overwhelmed by greed, the humans will soon have to contend with the jungle’s true treasures – its proud inhabitants in JUNGLE EMPEROR LEO — a wholesome animated film perfect for the whole family!
For families seeking more animated fables, Cocoro’s fun-filled vaults includes such classics as:
- THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ (DUBBED) — Across 4 seasons and 53 episodes of this Japanese anime based on L. Frank Baum’s beloved classic, home audiences will be transported to the magical land of Oz for more adventures with Dorothy and her friends. (Japan, 1985)
- SEA PRINCE AND THE FIRE CHILD (DUBBED) — This family-favorite anime feature from Sanrio weaves a romantic fairy tale about Malta, the lovely daughter of the Queen of Fire, and Prince Sirius, successor to the King Oceanus. Once, fire and water spirits lived in harmony, but since the Children of Water and the Children of Fire came to battle years ago, the lovers find themselves on opposite sides of a war. Though their union seems hopeless, a wise old woman reveals to them that the cosmos will align and bless their love if they can complete a dangerous journey in this fable loosely based on “Romeo and Juliet”. (Japan, 1981)
- SWAN LAKE (DUBBED) — This animated fable is based on the cherished ballet by Pyotr Tchaikovsky. One day, while handsome Prince Siegfried is out riding with friends, he spies, amidst swans on a lake, a particularly eye-catching one wearing a crown. This beautiful swan is actually Princess Odette, who has been charmed by the wizard Rothbart who covets her for himself. Siegfried, together with two merry squirrels, struggles to defeat the evil wizard in this childhood classic featuring Tchaikovsky’s timeless music.
Animated Short Anthologies ‘Genius Party’ & ‘Genius Party Beyond’ on Blu-ray October 15 from GKIDS, Shout! Factory
Studio 4°C’s animated anthology films Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond, which feature an eclectic collection of stories from 12 acclaimed directors, will be released together on Blu-ray
on October 15, and separately via digital download on October 1 from GKIDS and Shout! Factory. Now available for the first time ever in North America, Genius Party consists of seven connected and visually experimental stories while Genius Party Beyond includes five, making it the perfect anthology piece for the devoted anime collector.
From groundbreaking animation outfit Studio 4°C (MFKZ, Mind Game) comes two extraordinary projects with a shared, simple vision: to take an all-star team of some of the best animators working in anime today, and give each free rein to tell a unique short story built around “the spirit of creativity.”
Full of boundless imagination, fantastic worlds, and unique visual styles, these two acclaimed films spotlight directors like Masaaki Yuasa (Lu Over the Wall, Mind Game, Devilman: Crybaby) and Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop), along with Hideki Futamura, a key animator on the cult-classic anime Perfect Blue. Other renowned contributors include Atsuko Fukushima, Shoji Kawamori, Shinji Kimura, Yoji Fukuyama, Mahiro Maeda, Koji Morimoto, Kazuto Nakazawa, Shinya Ohira, and Tatsuyuki Tanaka.