Since the release of the original video, it has achieved the following facts:
- 1,400,000 You Tube Views as of Friday (3/18) morning
- The video became the #1 tweeted video
- The video was the #1 URL shortened address on bitly..com <http://bitty.com/>
It also received the following YouTube honors:
- #1 Favorited video on YouTube for the week of March 14 (Source: YouTube Honors)
- #1 – Top Favorited (3/15) – Science & Technology
- #37 – Top Favorited overall (3/15)
On Wednesday, March 16, Relativity Media and Thinkmodo revealed that the video was a hoax and a promotion for the film LIMITLESS. The objective of the reveal was to further engage consumers by unveiling how the video was made in addition to tying the creativity of the video, specifically the hacker, to the themes in LIMITLESS. The film centers around a man down on his luck who take a street drug (NZT) that allows him to access 100% of his brains potential and as a result complete unthinkable tasks.
Below is a sample of the coverage, it received.
NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/business/media/17viral.html?_r=1&src=busln
Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/limitless-viral-video-creates-buzz-169169
CBS News- http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504784_162-20044736-10391705.html
Village Voice: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/03/times_square_hack_hoax_limitless_ad_effects.php
Business Insider: http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-times-square-video-screens-movie-ad-2011-3