Creepshow is the greatest horror anthology movie. Fight me on this. I know that’s a common Internet phrase, but I’m inviting you to fight me while we debate this. The locals will know where to fight me, but be aware…I fight dirty. So, what does any of this have to do with Creepshow? Well, I’ve heard your complaints. The readership seems to have loved this set, but felt like it was a bit overpriced when compared to past Shout/Scream releases.
I dig the designer case and the artwork. Plus, the new transfer and special features were insane. Due to recent events, it’s a near impossibility to get ahold of Romero or even trick King into sitting down for a commentary. So, what’s left? I’m not really sure. There is talk of a Director’s Cut, but I wouldn’t know what form it would take. The deleted scenes are known and I don’t know if there are director notes to construct a film print.
Fun fact: this was the only Romero movie to open at #1 at the box office. It is pretty mainstream considering the gore, that surprised me upon this past revisit. Still, what makes the film so special for me is that I remember The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill as the story that got me interested in horror. You never know what story is going to connect with a kid, hence why I unironically recommend sharing this movie with young people.
They can handle it or reject it. The most important thing to do is find broader horror that can provide hooks for a new generation. They need it…dear God, they need it.
Creepshow Special Features
- NEW 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative – Color Correction Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Michael Gornick
- Audio Commentary With Director George A. Romero And Special Make-Up Effects Creator Tom Savini
- NEW Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Michael Gornick
- NEW Audio Commentary With Composer/First Assistant Director John Harrison And Construction Coordinator Ed Fountain
- NEW Terror And The Three Rivers – A Round Table Discussion On The Making Of Creepshow With John Amplas, Tom Atkins, Tom Savini, And Marty Schiff
- NEW The Comic Book Look – An Interview With Costume Designer Barbara Anderson
- NEW Ripped From The Pages – An Interview With Animator Rick Catizone
- NEW The Colors Of Creepshow – A Look At The Restoration of Creepshow With Director Of Photography Michael Gornick
- NEW Into The Mix – An Interview With Sound Re-recordist Chris Jenkins
- NEW Mondo Macabre – A Look At Mondo’s Various Creepshow Posters With Mondo Co-Founder Rob Jones And Mondo Gallery Events Planner Josh Curry
- NEW Collecting Creepshow – A Look At Some Of The Original Props And Collectibles From The Film With Collector Dave Burian
- Audio Interviews With Director Of Photography Michael Gornick, Actor John Amplas, Property Master Bruce Alan Miller, And Make-up Effects Assistant Darryl Ferrucci
- Tom Savini’s Behind-The-Scenes Footage
- Horror’s Hallowed Grounds – A Look At The Original Film Locations Hosted By Sean Clark
- Deleted Scenes
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spot
- Radio Spots
- Still Galleries – Posters, Lobby Cards, And Movie Stills
- Still Galleries – Behind The Scenes Photos