BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY REVIEWED
“The Bloodstained Butterfly” is a great Giallo that spits in the eye of genre expectations. Playing more as a legal drama, the film, wants to solve murders rather than glorifying the kill spree. Helmut Berger works well alongside Giancarlo Sbragia. Sbragia plays the false suspect, but the film is far more memorable for its stunning score. Couple that with an uncut presentation and 4K restoration and you have an amazing Giallo to celebrate the weekend.
While I love Arrow dipping hard into the deep Giallo cuts, how’s about looking at other horror outlets? I know several hardcore Giallo fans, but Italian fantasy murder mysteries don’t make up the wealth of international horror. Sure, Arrow is scratching my personal horror itch with the H.G. Lewis set, but there’s got to be a middle ground. Pick up this release to enjoy a genre oddity. Just don’t expect anything stunning.
- Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Original Italian and English soundtracks in DTS-HD MA mono 1.0
- Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- New audio commentary with critics Alan Jones and Kim Newman
- Murder in B-Flat Minor, a new visual essay on the film, its cast and crew by author Troy Howarth
- New career retrospective on director Duccio Tessari
- Original Italian and English theatrical trailers
- Gallery of original promotional images
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin
- Limited edition 36-page booklet illustrated by Tonci Zonjic, containing writing by James Blackford, Howard Hughes and Leonard Jacobs
- 2.35:1 1080p transfer
- DTS-HD Mono
RELEASE DATE: 8/23/16
The Plot Thus Far
Directed by Duccio Tessari (Death Occurred Last Night, A Pistol for Ringo), The Bloodstained Butterfly melds the lurid giallo traditions popularised / popularized by Dario Argento and Mario Bava with courtroom drama, resulting in a film that is as concerned with forensic detail and legal process as it is with grisly murders and audacious set-pieces. When a young female student is savagely killed in a park during a thunderstorm, the culprit seems obvious: her lover, TV sports personality Alessandro Marchi (Giancarlo Sbragia, Death Rage), seen fleeing the scene of the crime by numerous eyewitnesses. The evidence against him is damning… but is it all too convenient? And when the killer strikes again while Marchi is in custody, it quickly becomes apparent that there’s more to the case than meets the eye… Starring 70s heartthrob Helmut Berger (Dorian Gray, The Godfather: Part III) alongside genre mainstays Evelyn Stewart (The Psychic, The Case of the Scorpion’s Tail) and Carole André (Colt 38 Special Squad), and featuring a score by Gianni Ferrio (Death Walks at Midnight), The Bloodstained Butterfly is presented uncut and in a sumptuous new 4K restoration that allows this unique and haunting thriller to shine like never before!