FILM MOVEMENT PLUS April Highlights: Streaming Premieres including HAMLET, a Trio of Classics from Legendary Sexpolitation Auteur JOSEPH W. SARNO, a TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL SPOTLIGHT and More!
Mill Creek Entertainment, the leader in value home entertainment, is excited to announce 4 new Blu-ray releases with a retro VHS-style o-sleeve with a 90s upgrade. These upcoming releases will be an extension of the Retro VHS line that was developed last year featuring mostly films from the 80s reminiscent of the video rental store era, but now featuring updated graphics that give a nod to the bight and colorful 90s. The four films, Opportunity Knocks, Jury Duty, Excess Baggage and Double Team will each be available starting June 4 at $14.98 SRP.
“Stars like Alicia Silverstone, Pauly Shore, Dana Carvey and Jean-Claude Van Damme are the epitome of the 90s and their movies are so iconic of the era,” says Barrett Evans, VP of Marketing for Mill Creek Entertainment. “There has been such a tremendous response from our previous VHS-style releases that we wanted to continue this line-look but give it a bit of an upgrade for these films from the 90s.”
Each release features an o-sleeve resembling a VHS cover with a partial view of a tape along the side. The artwork contained within the Blu-ray wrap features alternate key art, a particular detail that many fans tend to appreciate. In addition to the genre stickers and varying “remember to rewind” messages, these 90s-era sleeves also depict colored VHS tapes which was definitely a trend.
The New York Ripper 4K restoration arrives from Blue Underground on June 25th, 2019
A blade-wielding psychopath is on the loose, turning The Big Apple bright red with the blood of beautiful young women. As NYPD detective Fred Williams (Jack Hedley of FOR YOUR EYES ONLY) follows the trail of butchery from the decks of the Staten Island Ferry to the sex shows of Times Square, each brutal murder becomes a sadistic taunt. In the city that never sleeps, the hunt is on for the killer that can’t be stopped!
Co-written and directed by acclaimed horror maestro Lucio Fulci (ZOMBIE, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD) and filmed on location in the mean streets of New York City, this is one of Fulci’s most savage and controversial thrillers. Now Blue Underground is proud to present THE NEW YORK RIPPER in a new 4K restoration from its original camera negative, completely uncut and uncensored, and fully loaded with exclusive new Extras!
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD Available on Digital 5/7 & 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™, DVD & on Demand 5/21
To mark the film’s global 4K Ultra HD, Blu-rayTM and DVD release, Universal has partnered with Facebook and Messenger to debut two exclusive adorable Night Lights (baby dragons) to train and an awe-inspiring in-store Augmented Reality (AR) experience. In pack, fans can unlock an exclusive code that reveals your very own Night Light that you can hatch, train, and send on adventures within the popular Dragon Pets Instant Game available on Facebook and Messenger.
What began as an unlikely friendship between an adolescent Viking and a fearsome Night Fury dragon has become an epic trilogy spanning their lives. In this next installment, the heroic pair finally fulfill their destinies; Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) as the village chief and ruler of Berk alongside Astrid (America Ferrera), and Toothless as the dragon leader of his own kind. As the Vikings and dragons of Berk face their darkest threat yet, the evil Grimmel (F. Murray Abraham), and Toothless discovers his soulmate, Light Fury – the bonds of Hiccup and Toothless’ friendship are tested like never before.
The all-star voice cast behind all of the beloved characters from the previous films returns with Jay Baruchel (The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, This Is the End), America Ferrera (“Superstore,” The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants), Cate Blanchett (The House with a Clock in Its Walls, Ocean’s Eight), Gerard Butler (300, The Bounty Hunter), F. Murray Abraham (Isle of Dogs, The Grand Budapest Hotel), Kit Harington (“Game of Thrones”), Craig Ferguson (Brave), Kristen Wiig (Despicable Me 3, Ghostbusters), Jonah Hill (The Lego Movie franchise, 21 Jump Street) and Christopher Mintz-Plasse (Trolls, This is the End).
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K Ultra Hd, BLU-RAYTM, DVD and digital:
- Alternate Opening with Intro by Writer/Director Dean DeBlois
- DreamWorks Shorts:
- Bilby – Directed by Liron Topaz, Pierre Perifel and JP Sans; produced by Jeff Hermann and Kelly Cooney Cilella. Threatened daily by the deadly residents and harsh environment of Australia’s Outback, a lonesome Bilby finds himself an unwitting protector, and unexpected friend, to a helpless (and quite adorable) baby bird.
- Bird Karma – Directed by William Salazar and produced by Jeff Hermann, the beautifully artistic 2D short film Bird Karma tells a delightfully lyrical and fully unexpected tale of a long-legged bird’s journey of blissful joy, inescapable greed and the accidental discovery of the consequences when too much is not enough.
- Deleted Scenes with Intros by Writer/Director Dean DeBlois
- How to Voice Your Viking – Go behind the scenes with the cast as they record the Viking voices of HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD.
- Creating an Epic Dragon Tale – Discover what filmmakers learned while crafting this epic dragon trilogy.
- How I Learned from Dragons – The diverse cast of characters reveal why they think the dragon trilogy is so special.
- Brave Wilderness Presents: Nature + Dragons = Awesome – Join Coyote Peterson, host of Brave Wilderness, as he explores what it takes to make the dragon’s characters come to life.
- The Dragon Sheep Chronicles – Protecting sheep from the dragons of Berk is no easy task but Hiccup has a plan.
- A Deck of Dragons – Observe four new dragons as Fishlegs unveils his original deck of dragon trading cards.
- Growing Up with Dragons – After years of being with these characters, hear the lasting effects of the dragon trilogy from the filmmaker’s perspective.
- The Evolving Character Design of Dragons – Cast and crew reveal what it was like to evolve not only the characters of HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD, but themselves as well.
- Drawing Dragons – Get a glimpse of what goes in to designing a DreamWorks dragon.
- Epic Villain – A different kind of villain, Grimmel brings great challenges to the village of Berk. Go behind the scenes as filmmakers breakdown this epic character.
- Astrid’s Whole Dragon Trilogy in 60 Seconds – Hold on tight as Astrid sums up the whole dragon trilogy in a legendary 60 seconds.
- Welcome to New Berk – With Hiccup as your guide, get a firsthand look at the updated Viking village of New Berk.
- Feature Commentary with Writer/Director Dean DeBlois, Producer Bradford Lewis and Head of Character Animation Simon Otto
- 4K Ultra HD is the ultimate movie watching experience. 4K Ultra HD features the combination of 4K resolution for four times sharper picture than HD, the color brilliance of High Dynamic Range (HDR) with immersive audio delivering a multidimensional sound experience.
- Blu-rayTM unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6X the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.
- Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- MOVIES ANYWHERE is the digital app that simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. MOVIES ANYWHERE is only available in the United States. For more information, visit https://moviesanywhere.com.
Entertainment Industry Vet Grae Drake named “Ms. Moviefone”
Moviefone™, the iconic media, news, and entertainment information service owned by Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. (OTC: HMNY), today announced that former Rotten Tomatoes Senior Editor, Grae Drake, has assumed the role of “Ms. Moviefone” to serve as Moviefone’s leading brand personality. The announcement comes as Moviefone launches a bold new initiative and seeks to become the premier destination for content, reviews and commentary for movie lovers across the nation.
A nod to the memorable “Mr. Moviefone” character, Ms. Moviefone plans to become a pillar of the film industry and a go-to source for providing commentary on the entertainment industry and recommending which audiences will like which movies. As the new face of Moviefone, Drake will engage with the film community by interviewing filmmakers and celebrities, and she’ll appear at industry events to provide an inside look at the movies and the characters starring on the big screen. Drake will become Moviefone’s expert source for everything connected to the movie industry.
In her new role, Drake will be responsible for producing and hosting a series of new original video content that will live on the Moviefone site. Drake will also oversee the evolution of existing video content, such as the well-known “Unscripted” series, providing Moviefone with the flexibility to continue creating and growing its video library. Developing dynamic video content will allow viewers to form a bond with Ms. Moviefone and have a more engaging experience with the brand.
“Moviefone is such an iconic brand, and I’m excited to have Grae join the team. When I think about my career, I’m most proud of the work I did with Grae at Rotten Tomatoes, growing that brand into a household name.
She’s going to play a key role here at Moviefone as we grow our stature as the pre-eminent destination for movie fans. Grae’s is the perfect voice to help us strengthen our connection with the millions of fans using Moviefone today, and she’ll use her expertise and passion around all aspects of pop culture to help build our audience even more,” said Matt Atchity, General Manager of Moviefone.
“Having a female voice of authority about movies is really important. It’s making the change I want to see regarding representation and gender parity in film media, which is still overwhelmingly male. Moviefone has the opportunity to lead by example, and I know Grae will bring a fresh energy and passion to our relationships within the film industry.”
Drake comes to Moviefone as an experienced film journalist, host and interviewer. She is most well-known as an expert Rotten Tomatoes editor and film critic, and her expert analysis made her a valued guest at a variety of outlets, including NBC’s Today Show and ABC’s 20/20 and World News Tonight. She is also the recipient of the 2017 Press Award from the International Cinematographers Guild. In this new role, Drake reunites with her former colleague Matt Atchity, who previously served as Editor-in-Chief of Rotten Tomatoes and now functions as the General Manager of Moviefone. She’ll also be working closely with Moviefone veteran Drew Taylor, recently promoted to Managing Editor.
“Moviefone is largely responsible for shaping the way I personally interact with movies,” said Drake. “It is an honor to be able to represent the brand and push film discussions past static critic scores. Movies speak to people in deep and unique ways, and it’s incredible to be a part of telling those stories. Matt Atchity and I had a powerful partnership at Rotten Tomatoes, and I’m thrilled to reunite with him to move the Moviefone brand forward.”
“Moviefone is, and has been, a valued contributor to the movie community. Ms. Moviefone is the perfect way to connect with moviegoers and strengthen our brand recognition,” said Ted Farnsworth, Chairman and CEO of Helios and Matheson Analytics. “Moviefone has a bright future ahead, and I know Grae is the perfect person to help make our vision a reality,” he concluded.
- 0.1 FILM MOVEMENT PLUS April Highlights: Streaming Premieres including HAMLET, a Trio of Classics from Legendary Sexpolitation Auteur JOSEPH W. SARNO, a TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL SPOTLIGHT and More!
- 1 MILL CREEK ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES NEW RETRO VHS EDITION BLU-RAY RELEASES WITH A 90s MAKEOVER