Out in California
Whos Gonna Build Your Wall?
Veterans Day: The Tom Russell Anthology is a 2-disc set produced by Tom Russell and Shout! Factorys David McLees that includes a 24-page booklet featuring photos, Russells art, and an essay by Mike Regenstreif. Anthology contains 2 previously unreleased songs, Dark Angel, (acoustic version), and a new recording titled Roll The Credits, as well as songs from 19 of his albums including Navajo Rug, Big Water, with Iris Dement, One And One with Shawn Colvin, recorded about four years before her debut album, 4 songs co-written with Dave Alvin, and of course, Veterans Day, a song about an American POW once powerfully covered by Johnny Cash.
Born in Los Angeles in 1953, the masterful songwriter now lives on the El Paso-Juarez border. Raised on the American Wests cowboy music, Russells musical style emerged as a mix of this as well as country, Tex-Mex and folk. Russell has recorded 25 albums and his songs have been covered by artists such as Johnny Cash, Nancy Griffith, Joe Ely, k.d. Lang, Suzy Bogguss, and Ramblin´ Jack Elliott. Tom Russell, who along with Dave Alvin was a pioneer of the Americana radio format, has received awards from ASCAP, CMA, and Folk Alliance, among others. Russell has appeared on The Late Show With David Letterman four times in the last few years.
In addition to his songwriting career, Russell has lived a fascinating life. He has published three books, is an established painter, earned a Master´s Degree in Criminology from the University of California and taught school in Nigeria during the Biafran war.
Oct 27-31: Cowboy Train Dates throughout Canada w/ Ian Tyson, Eliza Gilkyson.
Nov 6-8: Heber City, UT (Cowboy Poetry Gathering)
Nov 10-14: Song Train Dates throughout Canada w/ Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmore.
Nov 28 San Diego, CA Acoustic Music
Nov 29 Santa Monica, CA McCabes
Nov 30 Thousand Oaks, CA Thousand Oaks Library
Dec 1 Visalia, CA Mavericks
Dec 3 Santa Ynez, CA Tales From The Tavern
Dec 4 Monterey, CA Monterey Live
Dec 5 Santa Cruz, CA Don Quixote
Dec 6 Berkeley, CA Freight And Salvage
Dec 7 Winters, CA The Palms
Dec 8 Reno, NY Great Basin Brewing Company
Jan 28-29 Elko, NV Cowboy Poetry Gathering
Feb 5 Fort Worth, TX McDavid Studio
Feb 6 Austin, TX Cactus Café
Feb 7 Houston, TX Mucky Duck
1. Joshua Tree (Tom Russell With Patricia Hardin)
3. One And One (Tom Russell With Shawn Colvin)
4. U.S. Steel (Tom Russell Band)
5. Home Before Dark (Tom Russell Band)
6. Navajo Rug
7. Veterans Day
8. Outbound Plane
9. Gallo Del Cielo (Tom Russell With Ian Tyson)
10. Haleys Comet (Tom Russell Band)
12. Cleaning Windows (Barrence Whitfield With Tom Russell)
13. Tulare Dust/ Tearing The Labor Camps Down
14. The Rose Of San Joaquin
15. Out In California
16. St. Olavs Gate (Tom Russell With Nancy Griffith)
17. Big Water (Tom Russell With Iris Dement)
18. Angel Of Lyon (Live)
19. Blue Wing (Live) (Tom Russell With Dave Alvin)
20. Beyond The Blues (Tom Russell With Jimmy Dale Gilmore)
1. The Sky Above And The Mud Below
2. Throwin Horseshoes At The Moon (Tom Russell With Iris Dement)
3. Down The Rio Grande
4. California Snow
5. Touch Of Evil
6. Isaac Lewis
7. The Kid From Spavinaw
8. Tonight We Ride
10. Van Ronk
11. The Pugilist At 59
12. Ash Wednesday
13. Stealing Electricity
14. Whos Gonna Build Your Wall?
15. The Death Of Jimmy Martin
16. Dark Angel (Acoustic Version Previously Unreleased)
17. Roll The Credits (New Recording)