STORY OF SIN REVIEWED
“Story of Sin” is typical Borowczyk. If you don’t follow the guy’s work, let’s just say he loves erotic cinema. This film follows a young girl who has a wild love affair with a married man. When the guy bails out, so that he can go divorce his wife…this young lady can’t bare being apart from him. So, she travels to her beloved and finds a world of exciting new people. These exciting people all want to sexual assault her, so things get sticky.
Watching this film and the other Borowczyk titles released by Arrow, I’m starting to see a pattern. Hell, I’m seeing it with the short films featured on the disc. Borowczyk doesn’t just adore erotic cinema, he adores cinema of corruption. It’s one thing to show a man or woman being sexxed up on the regular. It’s another to show how sex gets used against them and by them as a weapon. While not the strongest entry in Borowczyk’s filmography, it’s still important.
- New 2K restorations from the original negatives of Borowczyk’s ground-breaking Polish shorts: Once Upon a Time (co-directed by Jan Lenica), Dom (co-directed by Lenica) and The School
- New introduction by poster designer Andrzej Klimowski
- New interview with Story of Sin lead actor Grazyna Dlugolecka
- New interview featurette on Borowczyk’s career in Poland by Daniel Bird (co-founder Friends of Walerian Borowczyk)
- New interview featurette on Borowczyk’s innovate use of classical music in his films by writer and filmmaker David Thompson
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Andrzej Klimowski
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new and archival writing, including an exclusive interview with the producer of Story of Sin, director Stanislaw Rozewicz; a text by art historian and one-time Borowczyk collaborator,
- 1.66:1 1080p transfer
- LPCM 1.0 MONO