THE STORY SO FAR:
Valentine’s Day follows the intertwining story lines of a group of Los Angelinos as they find their way through romance over the course of a Valentine’s Day. The soundtrack is packed with 18 songs including brand new songs from Taylor Swift and Jewel. Taylor also has a role in the movie.
- The Proposal / Trying to Tell Her
- The Makeup – First Kiss
- Apartment Dwelling / Hollywood Loft
- Arrival / Airport / Catching Julia / Gotta Stop Them
- Flower Shop Talk / To The Restaurant / The Realization / Mi Familia
- Light Conversation / Chivalrous Gestures / He’s Married / Forget Me Not
- Liz Leaves / Having Sex / I Have No Life
- Julia Sees The Light / Edgar & Estelle / Young Love / First Time
- She Said No / Don’t Go / I Like Her
- My Life’s a Mess / This is Awkward
- Ride Home / Guys Talk
- Mom’s Home / Soccer Practice / Bike Ride
- Reed and Julia
- Valentine’s Day
- Every Time You Smiled – Carina Round
John Debney’s music is everywhere. Did you miss him in the Christmas season? Well, he got you in the winter with “Valentine’s Day”. He worked his magic on “How I Met Your Mother” this year. Then, you’ve got him coming up in May with “Iron Man 2”. The man is a composing machine.
Debney’s score for “Valentine’s Day” is scattershot at best. It’s been nearly three months since I screened the movie and I’m having trouble placing points of action within the context of the score. Still, bits like the airport arrival and Julia bump-in sequence still play out beautifully. Whether you’re talking about the modern romantic comedy or the films of old, it’s always a hard sell on the music front.
Final Score: 86% – B-