IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS REVIEWED
“In the Mouth of Madness” promised a new leg of the Carpenter horror legacy. Sam Neill got the material, Carpenter felt like he was deepening his approach to horror and it rocked a KNB/ILM effects team-up. What could have gone wrong? Well, as the story is fond of bringing up, it’s not the author but the tale that is told. I’m paraphrasing, so don’t beat me up if I botched the quote. But, the intent remains the same. The author can only do so much.
What the author did was ape Lovecraft pretty hard, but then left room for Carpenter do his thing. In talking about the film, many fans gloss over the role of Jurgen Prochnow. I get that Sam Neill was great, but Prochnow made Sutter Cane come to life in the truest homage to Lovecraft that I have ever seen on film. I really wish that audiences would’ve jumped at this one a little harder. For some reason, I watch this movie and wonder about what could have been.
Would a world in which this was a hit could have spared us Ghosts of Mars? Dare I dream it?
- NEW Audio Commentary With Director John Carpenter And Producer Sandy King Carpenter
- NEW Horror’s Hallowed Grounds – A Look At The Film’s Locations Today
- NEW The Whisperer Of The Dark – An Interview With Actress Julie Carman
- NEW Greg Nicotero’s Things In The Basement – A New Interview With Special Effects Artist Greg Nicotero Including Behind The Scenes Footage
- NEW Home Movies From Hobb’s End – Behind The Scenes Footage From Greg Nicotero
- Audio Commentary With Director John Carpenter And Cinematographer Gary B. Kibbe
- Vintage Featurette – The Making Of In The Mouth Of Madness
- Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots
- 2.35:1 1080p transfer
- DTS-HD 5.1 master audio track
RELEASE DATE: 7/24/18
The Plot Thus Far
An insurance investigator begins discovering that the impact a horror writer’s books have on his fans is more than inspirational.
Troy Anderson is the Owner/Editor-in-Chief of AndersonVision. He uses a crack team of unknown heroes to bring you the latest and greatest in Entertainment News.