GRAVITY FALLS: THE COMPLETE SERIES REVIEWED
“Gravity Falls: The Complete Series” seemed like it lasted longer than it did. I got used to Disney series hitting 66 or 67 episodes and then getting canned. For a kid-friendly series that barely got two seasons, I’m stunned. This was one of the first series that I got into watching with my daughter. She was little and first started noticing TV about the time that Disney was trying to push out the last episodes. As such, we learned about the show and watched it together in repeat views.
Given the celebrities that make up the guests and supporting cast, I thought that the hipster kids would’ve gravitated to the material faster. Hell, the show plays like a kid-friendly Twin Peaks. Bill Cipher is a revelatory character that tries to make sense of cartoon weirdness with the honesty of childhood fiction. When you see what he accomplishes with the main characters, it makes you adjust your view of the show. Yeah, I get that culture sites dug that we found out about the Sheriff and Deputy’s sexual nature or the fun live-action bit at the end.
The best thing about this possible Best of 2018 set from Shout Factory has to be the special features. You’ve seen all of the episodes by now, so check out the commentaries and interviews. You are going to see things you missed. You are going to learn new things about the story. Hell, I had never seen the shorts that bridged the show’s jump to DisneyXD.
If Disney wants to send anymore fan favorites to Shout, I’m onboard. This set is near-perfect.
- NEW Audio Commentaries On All 40 Episodes With Creator Alex Hirsch And Members Of The Cast And Crew
- NEW “One Crazy Summer” – A Look Back At Gravity Falls Featuring Interviews With Alex Hirsch, Actors Jason Ritter, Kristen Schaal, Jackie Buscarino, Thurop Van Orman, Carl Faruolo, And Niki Yang, Creative Director Michael Rianda, Producers Rob Renzetti And Brian Doell, Directors And Artists Matt Braly And Joe Pitt, Writers Jeff Rowe, Shion Takeuchi, And Josh Weinstein, Composer Brad Breeck, Art Director Ian Worrel, Artists Dana Terrace, Robertryan Cory, Andy Gonsalves, Sean Jimenez, And Alonso Ramirez Ramos, And Alex’s Twin And The Inspiration For Mabel, Ariel Hirsch (105 minutes)
- NEW “The Hirsch Twins” – Alex & Ariel Hirsch Remember Their Own Summers Growing Up
- NEW Deleted Scenes – Over An Hour Of Never-Before-Seen Content
- “Between The Pines” – Behind-The-Scenes Series Finale Special
- Shorts – Interstitial Programming Between Seasons 1 And 2
- Promos – Commercial And Other Promo Materials From The Show’s Run
- And More … ?
- 1.78:1 1080p transfer
- DTS-HD 5.1 master audio track
RELEASE DATE: 7/24/18
The Plot Thus Far
Welcome To Gravity Falls !
Twin brother and sister Dipper and Mabel Pines are sent to the small town of Gravity Falls, Oregon to spend their summer vacation with their great uncle (“Grunkle”) Stan. Upon arrival, Grunkle Stan enlists the siblings’ help in running The Mystery Shack, a self-owned tourist trap that overcharges unsuspecting customers. While Dipper has a hard time getting used to his new surroundings, Mabel’s upbeat optimism comes in handy in her quest to find true love.
But there may be more to Gravity Falls than meets the eye as Dipper and Mabel encounter strange occurrences and weird creatures. When Dipper stumbles upon an elusive book, he discovers it is the answer to uncovering the town’s mysterious happenings. Soon, Dipper and Mabel realize they must rely on each other to navigate this unfamiliar place. Meanwhile, Grunkle Stan guards a secret of his own — one that just might hold the key to unlocking the deeper mystery that is Gravity Falls.
Includes All 40 Episodes!