THE STORY SO FAR:
Rhino’s new career-spanning compilation from the Divine Miss M features nineteen tracks including hits and favorites culled from her Atlantic, Warner Bros. and Columbia Records years. The disc also serves up one previously unreleased track, Something Your Heart Has Been Telling Me. As the legendary Midler is delighting countless fans with her recently premiered Las Vegas revue, The Showgirl Must Go On (at Caesar’s Palace), JACKPOT – THE BEST BETTE is the ideal way to explore the bonanza of great songs that have helped make her one of the world’s best-loved entertainers.
Since bursting onto the American entertainment scene in early 1973 Bette Midler has quite literally done it all. She spent three years on the Broadway stage in “Fiddler On The Roof” and has appeared in numerous films including “Down And Out In Beverly Hills”, “Ruthless People” and “Beaches” to name but a few. And of course Bette was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance in the 1979 box office smash “The Rose”. After winning the 1973 Grammy Award as “Best New Artist” Bette Midler would go on to have a highly successful recording career as well.
- In The Mood (Remastered Album Version)
- This Ole House (Remastered Album Vesion)
- Beast of Burden (Remastered Album Version)
- Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) (Remastered Album Version)
- The Rose (Remastered Album Version)
- When A Man Loves A Woman (Remastered Album Version)
- I’ve Still Got My Health (Remastered Album Version)
- Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most (Remastered Album Version)
- Hello In There (Remastered Album Version)
- The Glory Of Love (Remastered Album Version)
- Tenderly (Remastered Album Version)
- Wind Beneath My Wings (Remastered Album Version)
- Do You Want To Dance (Remastered Album Version)
- Baby Mine (Remastered Album Version)
- From A Distance (Remastered Album Version)
- Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (Remastered Single Version)
- Friends (Remastered Album Version)
- Something Your Heart Has Been Telling Me (Demo Version)
- Cool Yule (Remastered Album Version)
2008’s Jackpot: The Best Bette is the latest Bette Midler greatest hits album, reflecting her near 35 year career of both as a soundtrack legend, but as a strong Pop vocalist. The single disc collection replaces Bette’s well-dedicated 1993 classic hits collection, Experience The Divine, which sadly went out of print a few years ago. While the collection does bring in Bette’s biggest songs which have been restored and remastered well, there are also a few surprises here that you really didn’t expect. Some of them strong, but others not so divine. The album includes her biggest hits including The Rose, the classic 1987 anthem from Beaches Wind Beneath My Wings, her signature breakout hit Friends, as well as underrated hits like From A Distance, and This Ole House from her 2003 tribute to Rosemary Clooney album.
There are also a few new tracks here including a cover of The Temptations Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), and the unreleased Something You Heart Has Been Telling Me. Sadly though, I was honestly wishing that there could’ve been a few of Bette’s overlooked moments from the 90’s here, like her distinctive and moving performance of One For My Baby during her 1992 live performance on Johnny Carson’s final episode from The Tonight Show, and her 90’s overshadowed songs like To Deserve You and You Don’t Own Me from her 1996 hit film, The First Wives Club with Diane Keaton and Goldie Hawn. Also, I was also a bit shocked that her 2006 Christmas Song, Cool Yule was featured here, which is very rare a holiday Jingle has ever been on a greatest hits collection.
The CD is a fun collection that could make anyone a Bette Midler fan. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen Rhino deliver such a well-rounded collection for a seasoned veteran. Every hit is here and they’re matched with some classic obscure cuts. I haven’t heard Cool Yule save for one Christmas about two years ago. Throwing it on here was a nice treat that shows off Rhino’s commitment to their music. It’s an amazing release and one that you should buy.
- Final Score: 97% – A